COL2.0 testing [en]

A forum to talk about our successful Latin Spell Checker COL. Un forum pour échanger autour du correcteur COL (correcteur orthographique de langue latine).
drouizig
Site Admin

COL2.0 testing [en]

Message par drouizig »

Hi,

I just want to bring it to your attention. I have installed the Latin spell checker but everytime I run a spell check on Latin text or a file that is all in Latin just like the Latin-rtf.rtf file from your website, I get an error message about my custom dictionary?

I have attached the picture of the error message for you to see exactly what is happening. I have tried navigating to the folders where the error is pointing that my custom.dic file is missing but it is actually there. I am not sure why the Latin spell checker triggers this message that the custom.dic file does not exist.

view. http://www.drouizig.org/Skeudennou/BepS ... -error.gif

When spell checking other documents in other languages it is fine. The problem only happens when spell checking in Latin. This error only happens after the spell checker software was installed.

Please help.

Thank you.

Sarah
Dernière modification par drouizig le ven. juin 22, 2007 6:06 am, modifié 2 fois.
drouizig
Site Admin

Message par drouizig »

Hi Sarah,

Yes indeed :) It is important (mandatory I would even say) that you set correctly the user dictionary. Most of the feedback we get about COL concerns this feature. BTW, did you install the new version (COL2.0) ?

Please find below:

http://www.drouizig.org/Skeudennou/BepS ... er-dic.jpg

a screenshot of a good configuration. We use a French MS Word, we guess it won't be a problem to you.

Let us know in case of other problems,

Best regards,
Philippe
Dernière modification par drouizig le ven. juin 22, 2007 6:07 am, modifié 1 fois.
drouizig
Site Admin

Message par drouizig »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I see what you have configured in MS Word where you have changed your dictionary and selected Latin.dic.
But I do not have a Latin.dic file in the Microsoft directories. I have other languages on the list that I could check but Latin is not one of them.

I don't know what version of COL I am using. I checked the download and installation but it did not tell me anywhere.

Do I have to manually create the Latin.dic file? Or should that have been installed automatically? Maybe I have installed the older version. Where can I download the newer one, 2.0? Maybe that would fix it and create the .dic file. The one I installed only has the .lex file.

Thank you.

Sarah
drouizig
Site Admin

Message par drouizig »

Hi Sarah,
Do I have to manually create the Latin.dic file? Or should that have been installed automatically? Maybe I have installed the older version. Where can I download the newer one, 2.0? Maybe that would fix it and create the .dic file. The one I installed only has the .lex file.
The 2.0 version won't create the .dic file (btw we could add this in the final realease, good point :-)

You need to create it but from the MS Word interface only (don't create it by hand from the Windows Explorer or from Notepad or whatever).

There should be a button "New" in the MS Word "user dictionaries config box". Just add "latin.dic" as file name and click OK : a right file, in terms of format will be created.

Once the file has been created, it is also very important to select "Latin" as the language type of the file. You can do this from the config box too.

IMHO, it is much more clean to have one personal dictionary per language.
We use "pure text" in our Latin Spell Checker to handle the .dic
Other languages use UNICODE (extended characters).

You can download the latest version of COL from http://latin.drouizig.org
be sure to uninstall the previous version before installing the latest :)

keep us informed :)
Philippe
drouizig
Site Admin

Message par drouizig »

Yes ! that worked! I initially thought of copy and pasting the custom.dic file through Windows Explorer and just renaming it to Latin.dic but I am glad you warned me about that.
I have to add the Latin.doc in Spelling and Grammar options and MS Word creates the format of it automatically. But after that it did not work, I still get the same message. So I went back in to the same window and modify Latin.dic and set the Language to Latin. That still did not work. When I unchecked custom.dic and made sure Latin.dic is the only option selected on the list, then that worked.

Thanks again. Hope unchecking the custom.dic would not affect other Microsoft Office applications when it comes to spell checking.

Sarah
drouizig
Site Admin

Message par drouizig »

Hi Sarah,

Good news.

Please do not hesitate to send us feedback now about the spell checker usability, robustness, relevancy...

We recently had the opportunity to test it against some texts coming from Vatican (Latin is still an official language over there) and we found it 'not so bad' :-)

Our test file comes directly from:
cf. http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/synod ... ly_lt.html

Actually I don't think selecting Latin.dic (only) will affect the other languages,

BUT you may have to change this .dic selection if you want to add unrecognized words of any other language you spell check, to the right .dic file.

I always do this between Latin, French, English, Breton and recently the Occitan spell checker!

Thank you for your valuable feedback,

Best Regards,
Philippe
Répondre