Acute accents ?

A forum to talk about our successful Latin Spell Checker COL. Un forum pour échanger autour du correcteur COL (correcteur orthographique de langue latine).
drouizig
Site Admin

Acute accents ?

Message par drouizig »

Hello,

I very much appreciate your efforts to produce such a wonderful Latin spellchecker. I use it frequently.

Unfortunately, I am presently having a problem with acute accents (apex). I use MS Word 2007 and I am working with prayer texts that have many acute accents. You can see lots of example over at: http://www.clerus.org/bibliaclerusonline/en/emo.htm#bqe A typical text might be: "Da, quaesumus, omnípotens Deus, hanc tuis fidélibus voluntátem, ut, Christo tuo veniénti iustis opéribus occurréntes, eius déxterae sociáti, regnum mereántur possidére caeléste. Per Dóminum."

The COL program seems to indicate that every word with an acute accent is misspelled. I can't seem to resolve the problem.

Is there anything that can be done?

Many thanks,

Br. Gregory Schnakenberg, OP
drouizig
Site Admin

Message par drouizig »

Hello Gregory,

First of all, thank you for your valuable feedback.
Actually the only thing we can do is filter out the acute accents as we do with macrons and circumflexes accents.
I can add a new option in the COL option box to allow accented words such as fidélibus, omnípotens, veniénti, occurréntes... but be aware that fidelibus, omnipotens, venienti, occurrentes will be allowed too.

Would that option help you (I can do the job this day if needed) ?

Marjorie, do you want to comment on this, I hadn't heard before about this convention...

Philippe BASCIANO-LE GALL
drouizig
Site Admin

Message par drouizig »

Hello Philippe and Gregory!
Well, I don't use accents (neither macrons nor apices) in my transcriptions, since it's not an habit in my community, but I can see the point of people who do so. If it shows one thing, it's that Latin is definitely a living language! ;) If you have the time to add this feature, it would be nice to have the possibility to filter accents. Bu as you point out, we can't go further than ignoring the accents, because the Verba list is not accented.
Yours sincerely, Marjorie
drouizig
Site Admin

Message par drouizig »

Dear Marjorie and Philippe,

If you are able to have the program ignore the acute accent marks just like the macrons, etc., that would be wonderful and quite sufficient.

I often include accent marks when transcribing texts for research, but I also frequently work with Latin that is going to be pronounced or sung aloud and thus accent marks are commonly used. In fact, it's normal in most Latin Catholic liturgical books to include an acute accent mark on a stressed syllable whenever a word that has three or more syllables. So, the option to ignore accent marks might actually be useful for a number of other potential users of COL.

Many thanks for your great work on this program.

Br. Gregory
drouizig
Site Admin

Message par drouizig »

Br. Gregory,
COL 2.3 is now ready for download, cf. http://latin.drouizig.org
You may have to reload the webpage to see the update.
Thanks again for your feedback!
Please keep us informed in case of trouble(s) with this updated version,
Sincerely,
Philippe
Répondre